Bulk Changes of Lines, Objects etc

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
Mick

Bulk Changes of Lines, Objects etc

Post by Mick » Tue May 13, 2008 9:56 am

Hello everybody,

I hope someone can tell me a better solution for changing properties of many objects (or polys or lines - it's similar) at the same time (bulk changes). Selecting the objects with SHIFT in e.g. object mode makes the multiple selection. Keeping SHIFT pressed and right-clicking brings up the object definition dialog in which I could edit.

Unfortunately there seems to be something very wrong with this approach: In this dialog it seems I can only define a fully new object, which is then assigned to every object in the selection with the exception that the "geographic position" and the "name" properties of every object stays individual - SB seems to re-assign the other properties with standard values. As an example: I have groups of houses, like 2 / 4 / 5 houses per group. I select different groups (objects) to assign a new common heading to them, SHIFT-CLICK them in object mode and then SHIFT-RIGHTCLICK to get the dialog. In this, the first library object (birds) shows up as default. If I don't chose one particular new object - like "group of 4" - then SB assigns the birds object to my selection, leaving the names and locations of the individual house groups and giving them the new heading. If I select an object from the list, then of course SB changes all the selected objects to the chosen object.

A similar effect shows up with VTP lines (much more important): Let's say I want to set a new custom layer for an appended default coastline. If I don't assign "VTP" AND A NEW TEXTURE together with the new layer, then nothing happens. If on the other hand I do assign a new texture, I have all similar coastline elements! --> I guess I'm going to try meshmans XML-edit idea for that

If I don't just miss the real way how to do it (the layer issue might come up more often) then I would put it on Luis' SB2.5.07 wishlist... in case the old version even gets any further consideration in development?

Or maybe someone knows the real way how to do it...

Kind regards
Mick