SBuilder Fences

General discussion about Scenery Design. Questions about SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004.
gadgets

SBuilder Fences

Post by gadgets » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:39 pm

I've just fenced-in a portion of my airport using SBuilder's new "Fences and Walls" macro library. Works quite well. Thanks.

Edit: I'm using 2.05 V6.

However, the experience would have been less trying if SBuilder:

1. made an outline of the fence's original position as a reference when moving it (the same would hold true when moving any object), and

2. allowed for object placement at an offset from the selected position on the screen - a la EZ Scenery. When attempting to place fence sections, one would use an offset of half the length of the fence section, at the fence orientation, thus allowing precise placement of one end of the fence. (Even with the end points of two fence sections exactly aligned using the highest zoom setting, the ends of two fence sections were out of alignment by up to a foot in FS9, thus requiring "tweaking" of the lat/lon.) Such a capability would be useful any time one attempts to place an object precisely using a point other than the object's center as a reference.

I also noticed that the "undo" capability would not undo macro object moves.

Despite this, SBuilder is a terrific tool. Now, if it just understood AFCAD bgls.

Thanks again,
Don

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I assume you are referring to BiasX and BiasY. Looking to the code I used single precison numbers to hold those values. I could change do double precision but it is impossible to get an error of a foot or so. Please confirm. By the way here is the code to form the lat/lon for each object:

lat = Objects(N).lat
lon = Objects(N).lon
Alt = Objects(N).Altitude
BiasX = Objects(N).BiasX
BiasY = Objects(N).BiasY
BiasZ = Objects(N).BiasZ
Alt = Alt + BiasZ
If BiasX <> 0 Or BiasY <> 0 Then
lon = lon + CDbl(BiasX / MeterPerDegLon(lat))
lat = lat + CDbl(BiasY / MeterPerDegLat)
End If

About the Undo I will look to the problem.

Regards, Luis

gadgets

Post by gadgets » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks for the response, Luis.

I hadn't realized that the Bias X/Y on the object page would work in this manner also for macros. However, for placing a fence, for example, x/y is not very useful since they are depenant on the orientation of the fence. A distance along the orientation of the object (from which you could derive Bias X/Y) would be much more useful for an object such as a fence. A +/- distance would be ideal, but + only would stull work by temporarily reversing the orientation when necessary. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to do some triogonometry.

Nonetheless, a great package!.

Don

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:52 pm

Hi Don,

If you make a precision footprint you should be able to place your fences accurately. Please see this topic:

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/topic.asp?TO ... ridge,gama

Luis

gadgets

Post by gadgets » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:57 pm

Thanks. Luis. I'll give it a try.

Don

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:05 pm

Hello Don,

There are bound to be different methods for placing objects. When placing fences, I use the Measuring tool that makes it all a snap.

First, enter Object mode.

Then, toggle the Measuring tool on (by pressing the "M" key.)

Click on the spot where you would like to start the fence. This turns on the Measuring of the distance.

Extend the measuring line to the end spot for the fence.

Make sure to note the distance that is indicated by the Measuring tool. This is very important. Click to end the measuring line.

Exit the Measuring tool by right-clicking.

At the center of the measured line, indicated by a circle, click to place an object.

The Object selection screen comes up with the correct angle already inserted. Select your fence and insert the correct distance.

This is about the easiest fence placement that you could find. Luis has done some excellent work here.

Here is something I am working on where I have placed a fence and also used a fence object to place a greenery wall.

I particularly direct attention to the frame rates. Astonishing! Of course, it is best to use this at some distance from the viewer and to fill in with some auto-rotating trees.

Best regards.

Luis