A Few Suggestions

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
gadgets

A Few Suggestions

Post by gadgets » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:29 am

Luis, I've spent a good part of the last few days editing a number of CVX files with SBuilderX 3.13.

First of all, let me say thank you for this utility.

This is the first time I've used the new version other than in a cursory fashion. While generally it behaved quite well, should you be thinking about an update, might I suggest you consider the following tweaks:
  • Remember the last accessed folder for main functions such as load, save as, import and export and open those folders, rather than the sBuilderX root folder, on a subsequent attempt to load, save, import or export respectively. For those of us who don't save our work in the sBuilderX root folder, it's frustrating having to work our way through the directory tree for every file access.
  • In the Properties dialogs, allow selection of any item in the active terrain.cfg, not just those in the default terrain.cfg. Currently, the only way (I have found) to specify non-stock items in terrain.cfg is to export in .SBX format, edit the .SBX file and import the edited file.
  • More rigourously check for changes. 3.13 allowed me to close a file several times when there were unsaved updates.
  • The undo/redo functions have always been unreliable. But, in 3.13, they don't seem to work at all.
  • When FSX is shut down before sBuilder when the user a/c is in view, limit the number of warning messages issued to 1.
As well, there's one additional feature that would be immensely helpful when building "sloping flattens", that is, the ability to check whether all vertices within a specified range have the same elevation and to highlight those that don't. I appreciate that you did implement my earlier suggestion to display the elevation of vertices in the poly mode. It saves a lot of time and mouse clicks. But, having the system find the errant vertices automatically would be even better.

Best regards,
Don