Can't enter negative longitude/latitude.

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
ThePilotGuy

Can't enter negative longitude/latitude.

Post by ThePilotGuy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:09 am

Hello. I have a quick question of you don't mind. :) When I create a map of photoreal textures for FSX, (using the maps built in to the program) and I am in the maps properties in the builder, it won't let me change its coordinates to negative. I need negative coordinates because FSX reads the West Hemisphere Longitude as negative and if the longitude isn't negative the scenery will end up on the opposite side of the world. Any way to fix this?

Thanks,
TPG

meshman

Re: Can't enter negative longitude/latitude.

Post by meshman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:52 pm

ThePilotGuy wrote:Any way to fix this?
Fix what? From your description, it appears your methodology is backwards or you're expecting the tool to do something in a different manner.

It sounds like you've made your map and then want to change the location. It would be the other way around, change your location and then make your map. Once a map is made, it's made. Your options are to delete it, change locations and make a new map.
Lance

ThePilotGuy

Post by ThePilotGuy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Well, you see, the map viewer has the same longitude/latitude for each hemisphere. FSX will only put the scenery in the western hemisphere is the longitude has a - in front. I need to know how to get it to display that - sign so FSX knows it's in the western hemisphere, so it doesn't appear on the opposite side of the world.

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:43 pm

An attached screenshot or 2 might help... what you are telling us isn't making much sense.

Dick
Dick

ThePilotGuy

Post by ThePilotGuy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:37 am

See the circled parts? There should be a - sign there. Without the - sign, FSX with display the textures on the opposite side of the World.

meshman

Post by meshman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:03 am

Let's go back over this, one more time. Once you have made a map, you cannot change it's location. The made map is static, it cannot be made to appear elsewhere. Delete what has been made, reposition SBuilderX to where you really want the map to be and make a new one.

1. New Project button (don't forget to give the project a name)

2. View | Go to position... (enter coordinates)

3. View | Show Background (satellite used can be changed under Edit | Preferences ...

4. Zoom to preferred level and select File | Add map | From Background ...

Bingo! You're all set.

But that map is for a fixed position, so if it's not what you wanted Delete it and go back to #2.
Lance

ThePilotGuy

Post by ThePilotGuy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:23 am

ok It works now.. I had done exactly what u said... but I had something in the wrong folder... sorry about that. :/

Another question though.... when I try to create a map of a large area at zoom 15, it always says could not make an image. There is enough memory on my system to handle this. What would be the cause of this?

meshman

Post by meshman » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:12 pm

Working with imagery files can take a lot of memory, more than is apparent at first glance.

Solution is to break it down into smaller pieces within SBX. Then after you get the areas established (SBX will have made multiple BGL files), you can take the BMP and INF files and manually set up a new INF file to make a single BGL file. Many times there will be additional work that will be involved in doing photo scenery, such as blending it into the surrounding terrain rather than leaving it as a square or rectangule. Having these smaller pieces to work with in a photo editing tool can be a blessing! I learned early on the Gimp or PaintDotNet don't like 400mb imagery files. They will run, but it's very slow. Smaller pieces of 200mb works much better.

Good luck in your efforts!
Lance

ThePilotGuy

Post by ThePilotGuy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:17 pm

OK thank you! These sections might be small, but the time and effort is definitely worth it when I run it in FSX! Thank you!