FSX Water Features too High

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
old grey dog

FSX Water Features too High

Post by old grey dog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:08 pm

I am adding bush airstrips to the scenery in Indonesian Papua, but I have fond in parts of the island, the water features that come with FSX are too high. This means that sit considerably higher than the surrounding terrain. I thought at first this was because I had added the FS Global scenery, but I have turned this off and it hasn't changed anything.

How do fix this? I presume I won't beable to edit the FSX offering, but how do I exclude these features and then add my own?

meshman

Re: FSX Water Features too High

Post by meshman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:02 pm

A simple exclusion polygon will take out any offending water. But within FSX that will affect a QMID 11 size area, which you can see with that QMID grid activated. Then you can reintroduce new water, with new elevation data. That's the kicker, FSX going with water that carries elevation. You can also make a FS9 type water polygon which will lie upon the terrain.

Or you can always edit the Terrain.cfg file to take out the "flatten" effect of water and make it lie upon the terrain. Only bad thing there is that much of the water is of poor data sets and you can see a whole new source of water issues, such as climbing half way up a hill.
Lance