Prepar3d V2

This forum is dedicated to discussions about the SBuilderX update for 64-bit Windows platforms.
adamjedgar

Prepar3d V2

Post by adamjedgar » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:15 am

Hi guys,
i dont use fsx anymore...however, i have prepar3d v2.

How can i get this program working with prepar3d v2

rhumbaflappy

Re: Prepar3d V2

Post by rhumbaflappy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:19 pm

The program works as-is with P3D. You can copy the tools from the P3D SDK ( resample, etc... ), but the terrain features of P3D v2 are still fully compatible with P3D without those tools.

I don't know if the FSUIPC function for moving or locating the aircraft ( coordinating it with SBuilderX ) still works, but I assume it would.

You may need to place the BGLs in a different file, and you might not be able to start P3D from within SBuilderX, as you can with FSX.

Dick
Dick

roger-wilco-66

Post by roger-wilco-66 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Hi,

I also develop exclusively for P3D V2.2 and can confirm that everything I tested works. There's on little limitation though which might be adressed in an update later:
scenery objects that are compiled with the p3d v.2.2 xtomdl, either directly via 3dsmax or with Arno Gerretens ModelconverterX can not be read into the library object manager. The workaround I use is that I recompile the native p3d models via the batch wizard function of MCX to the FSX format (GUID stays the same), then make an object BGL just for the usage in SBX. It is straight forward and not much of a hazzle (to me).

Cheers,
Mark
Development of historical sceneries for FSX and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D Simulators

My scenery development galleries:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Lacev

Post by Lacev » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:25 pm

adamjedgar wrote:Hi guys,
i dont use fsx anymore...however, i have prepar3d v2.

How can i get this program working with prepar3d v2
+1

1) Searching for 'FSX' at start: FSX could not be found in this computer!
2) Do not register the full patch to Prepar3d v2.2 at 'SBuilderX - FSX Settings' screen.
3) Do not make a copy of default terrain.cfg and install the terrain.cfg modified (Luis Feliz Tirado).

TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:13 pm

Every time I start SBuilderX the FSX Settings get reverted back to default with field for Full path for FSX being red since I only have P3D v2 installed. Would SBuilderX still work as intended since those paths are wrong and don't point to the SDK and P3D v2?

roger-wilco-66

Post by roger-wilco-66 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:56 am

Hi,

where did you install SBX? It is possible that this is a user access control problem. I install everything related to the sim or development on a dedicated hdd, but you also could choose a new fold in the root dir of C:\, but not under the UAC controlled \programs\ or \programs(x86)\ structures. That way it stays clear of UAC problems.

A red text in the SBX config screen indicates a needed file not found, with wither the folder being wrong or it is not accessible due to user privileges. I suppose the latter in your case.

Another measure I took, which may help here, is that I copy my SDK files into dedicated folders under the SbuilderX directory - this way I easily can switch SDKs or P3D / FSX versions without having a clickfest in the abyss of SDK folders.
Here's the way I proceed:

- assuming that SBX and the sim is installed in a non-uac folder structure

- under the main SBX folder, make a new one "sdk-tools" or "p2dv25-sdk-tools" if you want to versionize it.

- copy the sdk files

shp2vec.exe resample.exe imagetool.exe bglcomp.exe bglcomp.xsd xtomdl.exe managed_crashtree.dll managedlookup_keyword.dll

into this directory.

In SBX, under FSX settings, assign the new folder to all path settings EXCEPT the first one, which should point to the Sim directory. All assignments must be black, indicating the necessary resources have been found and are accessible!

Close SBX and fire it up again and see.

HTH,
Mark
Development of historical sceneries for FSX and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D Simulators

TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:39 am

I have UAC turned completely off and I have all the administrator rights and never had any problems with user privileges or anything like that. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll copy all needed SDK files directly into SBX tools directory (it's actually looking for them there... as I said if I point them into SDK folder and restart SBX it reverts to tools directory every time) but the problem with P3D v2.5 remains. The first field is always red, even though the directory for P3D v2.5 (which is on a dedicated HDD) is correct and I have all the privileges.

roger-wilco-66

Post by roger-wilco-66 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:55 am

Did you try to make a copy of p3d.exe and rename it to fsx.exe (or copy the original fsx.exe - if you have it ) to the p3d root directory? That's an old trick that works for many fsx addons which expect the exe file in that directory.

Cheers,
Mark

TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks, I'll try that. I installed FSX to a test computer a few days back (that's where I was trying to compile the BGL), I'll copy FSX.exe from there to my work computer.

TomazDrnovsek

Post by TomazDrnovsek » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Well, that didn't work. SBuilderX still "can't find" FSX.

Lacev

Post by Lacev » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:39 pm

I think that everybody that are talking 'yes, works with Prepar3d' inded is saying 'yes, the bgl's made with SbuilderX313 for FSX works with Prepar3d'. To do that, is necessary have FSX installed what is not my case. The fact is SBuilderX313 do not points to Prepar3d folder and will not have the 'show aircraft' feature. Without this, that is, getting the position on scenery, it has no usefulness for serious developers.

fleahead

Post by fleahead » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:55 pm

When I launch SBX, I get an error window from SBX saying:

The windows Registry indicates that FSX is in the folder:
C:\P3D_V3\
but SBuilderX could not find it there!
[OK]

My P3D is actually installed in c:\p3d\ so I don't know where it's getting that registry info. I don't even have a folder with that name. Anyway if I click OK SBX appears to function as normal.

iangbusa

Post by iangbusa » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:03 am

Lacev wrote:...Without this, that is, getting the position on scenery, it has no usefulness for serious developers...
I think your post is a little bit "drastic". SBX is a seriously useful and powerful tool for rapid development of very decent scenery add-ons.

I hardly ever use SBX connected to FSX or P3D. When I use it, I develop [new add-on] scenery using background satellite and aerial imagery or other geo-spatial data to give precise real-world locations - not always something that's found in FSX or P3D - and, in part for me at least and for commercial [serious] development, that's the point of creating new scenery - not to place it in with the inaccurate stock scenery or just embellish what's there.

Of course, it's not necessary to have FSX installed to run SBX. SBX 313 and 314 output does work, as you say with P3D (even up to 3.2). I've used FSX SDK and P3D SDK tools with SBX. And, with all the great minds on this forum, someone's sure to come up with a way to get the connection working (surprised the "dummy" FSX didn't work) :lol:

ian

roger-wilco-66

Post by roger-wilco-66 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:16 pm

I use SBX 64 with P3D 3.1 in the moment, also in the connected mode (show/move airplane), which is seldom though because I use other references. Remember, you need either FSUIPC and/or Simconnect to establish a connection between SBX and the sim. Simconnect is not installed automatically in the newer versions of P3D, if I recall right. You have to do that manually after installing P3D. And FSUIPC is a seperate application anyway.

Quite frankly, I think I would have to quit scenery design if SBX wouldn't work anymore. I think it works quite well and does all I need for scenery design, and I know of no other application that is as useful or can do the same. Even after years of working with SBX I find new functions or tricks and I'm truly in awe of the work and knowledge the developer has put into it.

Cheers,
Mark

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Thank you for your comments, Mark. Those are my sentiments exactly.

Luis Sá created an amazing tool that is not matched by any other. He generously shared it with the community and many people have used it to create wonderful scenery.

Best regards.
Luis