ESRI Shape files not happening

This forum is dedicated to discussions about the SBuilderX update for 64-bit Windows platforms.
zulfiqar

Re: ESRI Shape files not happening

Post by zulfiqar » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:04 pm

meshman wrote:Just because you add new data to FSX does not mean it's going to show. And I sincerely believe that there is nothing wrong with SBuilderX. SBuilderX does not display anything in FSX, it only prepares the data for FSX/P3D to display.

Roads in water? Imagine that! The default water/hydro data in FSX is a joke in most of the world. Overlay more accurate data and there will be visual problems. The solution is to properly build the landscape from the dirt up and to understand how the rendering engine does it's job. Ocean water excludes autogen, so of course you 'nature' data isn't going to show. Revise the water to where land *should* show, add your detailed data for the landscape and go check out the difference.
Hi,

It does show the difference in the forest regions . I do have shapefiles which includes water regions for my country I will try it out.

I still need to figure out Sbuilderx so lets see how well I can get the roads done, I think railroad is showing.

I honestly would not know how to build the landscape from scratch.

Rgds.

meshman

Post by meshman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:55 pm

zulfiqar wrote:I honestly would not know how to build the landscape from scratch.

Rgds.
It's real simple in FSX/P3D, the entire world is all land and water is added in. Want different water shapes? Exclude what's there and reintroduce your new data. Exclude and replace, a simple concept that sometimes grows into a big, hungry monster... :lol:
Lance

zulfiqar

Post by zulfiqar » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:33 pm

meshman wrote:
zulfiqar wrote:I honestly would not know how to build the landscape from scratch.

Rgds.
It's real simple in FSX/P3D, the entire world is all land and water is added in. Want different water shapes? Exclude what's there and reintroduce your new data. Exclude and replace, a simple concept that sometimes grows into a big, hungry monster... :lol:

Thanks Meshman, Let me have a look. SO I append the shapefile and then use the exclusions ?

zulfiqar

Post by zulfiqar » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:42 am

Luis and Experts,

I am facing an issue when creating landclass other things. This what I am doing.

I use Bing maps and center on my hometown, select polygon and then trace the buildings and then define it as LC_highrise in the properties, after this I go and select all and click on compile BGL, what is shows is only terrain vector and not landclass, the same is with tracing grass areas. I am sure I am doing it right but maybe I am missing something. I would want to do manual tracing for buildings at least.

But the other day I did make the changes and wanted to try again but now its not working. also when I create beaches it is way off in FSX , now this could be due to the coastline and I have no idea how to do that.

PS : 3.14 is not reading the same shapefiles which were read by 3.13

Please advice.

zulfiqar

Post by zulfiqar » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Along with the above problems i am also trying natural (forests) for FS9 and whatever I do export as BLN or Polish MP the Sbuilder for FS( is always blank and even if I do select all shows nothing during compilation.

Luis please help me with the few problems above.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Hello,

I am not really sure that I understand the problems. Let's see if we can take them one at a time.

1. You want to draw some polys and have them display land class. You compile, but all you get is "terrain vector, not land class." Sorry, what are terrain vectors, please?

There are 2 ways to display land class: either create a land class file or, if you want smaller-sized areas, draw polys and assign a land class value.

2. Then, you say that you did make the change - so, I assume you were finally successful. But, you tried again and failed. So, perhaps it would be easier for us to understand if you indicated step by step what you are doing, and also include screen shots of the SBuilderX workspace and the result in FSX. Please do not include very large images of multiple MegaBytes. Instead, please reduce the size of your images or crop them so as to make viewing them easier.

3. You say that you draw beaches and that they are "way off". Please indicate what you mean. Is it that they do not display in-game where they should? Also, you do not mention whether you have created your beaches as lines or polygons.

As Lance mentioned previously in this thread, the Flight Simulator world is not particularly accurate, so if you use aerial images (that are often much more accurate) as a guide for adding elements to the scenery, then your new elements will not display where you think that they should.

The only solution is to exclude the default and inaccurate FSX scenery (with exclusion polygons) and then recreate everything more accurately using aerial images as a guide. This means excluding water polygons (sea, lake, river) and drawing new water polygons.

Then, you can start adding beaches, roads, road traffic, bridges, and land class, either as a land class file or as land class polygons.

4. You have some files for FS9 that you want to export as BLN. Sorry, I don't understand why you want to do that. Don't you just want to compile and display your scenery in the game? Please explain this problem in more detail.

Generally, scenery creation is very simple with SBuilderX. So, please don't despair. However, you do not seem to have mastered some basic concepts yet, and this seems to be the source of the confusion.

I have written numerous simple, detailed, and illustrated tutorials on all of this.
It was my intention to put them on my Google Drive account and place the links here in the forum. However, lack of time and the numerous power outages where I live have prevented me from doing this.

They are easily found with a Google Search, however, or you could wait until I can provide them here.

You could also consult the SBuilderX Help file. It is not a tutorial, but I did try to make it as complete as possible.

Best regards.
Luis

zulfiqar

Post by zulfiqar » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi Luis,

Thanks for your reply, let me try and clear the confusion.

For FSX using Sbuilderx for forests and railroads is pretty accurate using shapefiles . no issues there but not for the roads as there are roads in the ocean near the coastline and the road shapefile is accurate as I am using the same source even for Xplane. For the beaches I used landclass Tan Sand using virtualearth imagery with polygons and the landclass is not exactly where it should be when I see it in FSX.

The other issue is that LC high rises are not being displayed at all. But I will try the exclusion method you have suggested.

All the above was done using Polygons.

Yes I had created it and deleted it again just to re-try but it had not worked. But I am going to try again.

I will follow the SbuilderX tutorial. But I really need to do this for FS9 as I am on a laptop and FSX is a little bad in performance for me in certain areas but FS9 is completely ballistic in fps and visuals.

For the .bln files in Sbuilder for FS9 which I tried right now is giving me compile options but when I compile I get this error.

"Error in line 7342815
-> LWMEnd
-> -> Linebuffer (20478) overflow, line 7340965/7341895 truncated !

-> fatal error, code: 32767
Scasm compilation status: aborted "

I had exported natural.shp as a BLN and then imported this BLN in Sbuilder , the grid was blank but when I selected All Polygons it gave me an option to compile bgl. LWM polygons

Rgds.

zulfiqar

Post by zulfiqar » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:45 am

About the Scasm error what I read on the net is too increase the buffer size and searching through all the .scm files in Sbuilder don't know where to put it.

THIS IS IN SBUILDER205

I KNOW I AM CONFUSING YOU BY ADDING SBUILDERX and SBUILDER205 errors in the same post.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Hello,

1. Your roads wind up in the ocean instead of on land.

As Lance and I already mentioned, the default scenery is not accurate. The water polygons representing the ocean are incorrectly drawn in the default scenery. So, your roads made from accurate sources will not coincide with the inaccurate default scenery.

As we both wrote, you must exclude the default water polygons and, using more accurate aerial images or accurate shapefiles, you must then create new water polygons. After having done this, your new roads will display correctly.

The same comment is valid for your beach polygons.

2. You draw a polygon and assign an urban high-rise land class that does not display. Please indicate what displays instead.

If you see an urban land class without high-rise buildings, then perhaps it is because that particular land class does not display in your region. The particular land class that shows in game often can vary depending on the region.

So, what is the region for your scenery? Not North America, I assume.

If this is the problem, the simple solution is to create a new region file that changes your area into one where high-rise buildings will display.

3. Your bln file returns an overflow error at a specific line, with the additional indication that this particular line is truncated.

Please carefully examine that line - a good text editor will probably allow you to see that this line does not end correctly. I don't remember how lines in bln files must end, but you will clearly see this by looking at the lines that appear before the problematic one.

4. Then, you mention a SCASM file with insufficient buffer. This is not SBuilder at all. Please consult the SCASM documentation for information on how to increase buffer.

Best regards.
Luis

zulfiqar

Post by zulfiqar » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi Luis,

Appreciate your reply. I will create the water polygons with the shapefiles and exclude the default ones and try.

I am in India - Bombay and we do have like 25-30 story buildings quite near the coastline.

It only displays the default FSX autogen.

Surely I will check the .bln file and search for the error thanks for this.

I will be very honest I have no idea how to increase the buffer in SCASM as this error comes when I click Compile in Sbuilder205. the Sbuilder205 documentation is blank.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 pm

Hello,

I have placed various tutorials, including one detailing how to create and modify terrain (such as water polygons), on my Google Drive account and the links are in the thread at the top of the normal SBuilderX forum. Please take a look at the tutorial on Terrain Design, as it will show you how to do much of what you want.

I have also placed the SCASM documentation on my Drive account; here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... HlUSmV3MU0

When you are ready, I shall show you the very easy way to create a new Regions file so that high-rise buildings will display in your region.

Best regrds.
Luis

zulfiqar

Post by zulfiqar » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:26 pm

luisfeliztirado wrote:Hello,

I have placed various tutorials, including one detailing how to create and modify terrain (such as water polygons), on my Google Drive account and the links are in the thread at the top of the normal SBuilderX forum. Please take a look at the tutorial on Terrain Design, as it will show you how to do much of what you want.

I have also placed the SCASM documentation on my Drive account; here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... HlUSmV3MU0

When you are ready, I shall show you the very easy way to create a new Regions file so that high-rise buildings will display in your region.

Best regrds.
Luis
Thanks Luis, give me a few days to read the documentation and hopefully understand it.

Will surely get back to you.

zulfiqar

Post by zulfiqar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:21 am

Hi Luis,

I tried something. I got the satellite Imagery using Sbuilderx for my hometown Bombay and loaded the image in Sbuilder205 as map and then loaded the natrual.bln file and saw all the polygons :). Then I went and select only the south area and compiled to bgl for FS2004 and it worked , i can see the forest areas now. I did the same with Railroad but the railnetwork is not being displayed got to check why.

The main thing is to get the coastline correct and if I manage to do that using water_polygons shapefiles from openstreetmap that would be fantastic.

I will update you on the progress if I am able to get the coastline with the shapefiles.

Rgds.

zulfiqar

Post by zulfiqar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:04 am

Luis,

I have done some wonderful stuff. The problems the coastline which I managed using waterpolygons shapefile and creating an exclusion for all Terrain Items now my roads are perfectly aligned. I also made the beaches and the extrusion bridges :) all aligned but with a side effect, i.e. everything all over the airports, so if I remove the exlusion (ALL TERRAIN ITEMS) then the autogen is not over the airports but then the roads are in the water. So now I am trying to rectify that.

Will keep ya updated.

About the high rises how should get that done ?

Rgds.

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Congratulations! A very big step forward.

I can't go into too much detail now, because my hands are seriously injured and it is hard to type. A cat had to go to the vet this morning - she did not agree and bit me very hard.

Your airport flattens were excluded along with everything else. An airport flatten:
1. flattens the ground under runways and aprons, because they are flat in FS;
2. eliminates autogen vegetation and buildings; and
3. display grass instead of the urban land class that is outside the airport.

That airport area was most likely not the right shape anyway, so just draw a new airport flatten (or, rather, two, one for each airport, the large one and the small one closer to the coast) with the correct shape.

High-rise buildings (land class 121) only display in North America and Australia, so you must create a Region file that changes your project area to one of those.

A Region file is the same as a Land Class file, except that in the control file, the Type=Region.

I don't remember the vaue for the default North America region, so you must find it yourself. Launch TMFViewer and load the default Region file (perhaps it is in the Base scenery folder). Place the mouse pointer over North America and read the value below in the status bar.

Then, go to SBuilderX. It does not create Region files, so use the land class function (not the Parks polygons) and put the North American value everywhere you want high-rise buildings (that is, where you have assigned land class value 121, High-rise Buildings). Then, compile only the land class, not all your other polygons and lines.

This will create:
1. a land class bgl. Delete it, you do not want a land class file now.
2. A RAW image file with the North American values;
3. and a control file.

Open the control file with a text editor and change Type to Region.

Create a Region bgl by placing the control file and the RAW file in the same directory as BGLComp, drag the control file on top of BGLComp. Place that new Region bgl in the same scenery folder as your other bgl files and you will have high-rise buildings.

Best regards.
Luis