Retaining FSX SDK Paths

This forum is dedicated to discussions about the SBuilderX update for 64-bit Windows platforms.
iangbusa

Retaining FSX SDK Paths

Post by iangbusa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:50 pm

Anyone know how I can get the program to persist the SDK tool paths in Edit>FSX Settings...?

Right now 314 and 313 "lose the settings" and return to Default values between any changes (e.g. compiling) and every time the program is launched. Iv'e looked for entries in ini file etc. but can't see where these parameters are saved.

Thanks

ian

luisfeliztirado

Re: Retaining FSX SDK Paths

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:47 am

There should be a place in the ini file for these settings. Perhaps that file is defective. You could try deleting it; at next launch, SBuilderX should generate a clean copy containing the entries.

Best regards.
Luis

iangbusa

Post by iangbusa » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:45 pm

Luis
It regenerates the copy but re-entering new paths has no affect on any entries in the file. Which entries in particular should be changed? If necessary I could try to change them or add them manually. Should they be in the [Main] or [RecentDirs] sections, for example? The only path entries that appear there are:
[RecentDirs]
ShapeDir=
OpenDir=F:\SBuilderX313\Tools
ImportDir=
AppendDir=
SurferDir=
TexDir=
SaveDir=
BmpDir=
ObjectDir=
RawDir=
LibDir=

[Main]
BGLFolder=F:\SBuilderX313\Scenery
There are no other path entries to be seen.
ian

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:14 am

Thank you, Ian, this is very interesting. I shall have to check and get back to you. In the meantime, are you on Windows 10 or 7, please?

In any case, I believe that these paths are mostly irrelevant as regards scenery creation. The SDK path is only needed at the first launch of SBuilderX, I think, because it then copies the SDK tools to the SBuilderX Tools directory. Once that is done, the path is no longer needed and you should be able to create scenery and compile without problems.

As for the path to the FSX executable, we have already mentioned that it is only needed if the user wants to connect to the game in order to get coordinates for a specific location.

So, I would recommend simply ignoring these issues with the paths and just get on with making scenery. :lol:

Best regards.
Luis

iangbusa

Post by iangbusa » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:54 pm

I'm coming across this issue on Windows 10 and this may (or may not!) be part of the problem. As you know, 10 updates regularly. Problems with compiling and also the "disappearing" path entries began unexpectedly, possibly after an overnight update.

If I point SBX 313 SBX to P3D v3 SDK compilers, it compiles OK but obviously doesn't retain the settings (hence my question). I do this every time now so that I can get something to compile. If I try to use 314 with any SDK compiler tool whatsoever, it does not work and fails with an error "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorerect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)".

Interestingly, compiling photo-scenery works without any problems.

This happens on two machines. You guessed it - both Windows 10. Everything works perfectly on a Win 7 machine - even retaining the paths.

I'll try copying the P3D tools into the SBX Tools folder.

SBX working one minute, not the next. As ever with Microsoft Windows - fascinating. :roll:

ian

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:05 am

Thank you for the information, Ian.

The error HRESULT: 0x8007000B is a .net Framework issue for incompatible 32-bit modules in 64-bit Windows, I think. We had already seen something like this with a particular dll used in SBuilderX, thus the recommendation to use version 3.13 when 3.14 gave errors.

There really is no other recommendation, since development of SBuilderX ended a while ago. But then, FSX itself is 10 years old and was immediately abandoned by Microsoft.

All we can do is grin and bear it. I am about to upgrade to Windows 10 and dread the day. I shall try to keep my Windows 7 installation on a separate volume (for purposes of scenery development) and hope that the Windows bootloader allows this. Knowing Microsoft, there is a great chance that this won't work. :roll:

Best regards.
Luis

iangbusa

Post by iangbusa » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:51 pm

Isn't "Progress" wonderful? :lol:

ian

meshman

Post by meshman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:34 pm

luisfeliztirado wrote:All we can do is grin and bear it. I am about to upgrade to Windows 10 and dread the day. I shall try to keep my Windows 7 installation on a separate volume (for purposes of scenery development) and hope that the Windows bootloader allows this. Knowing Microsoft, there is a great chance that this won't work. :roll:

Best regards.
Luis
OK then, I know I'll be waiting (im)patiently to hear your results! I have the WinX (<--catchy?) .ISO file waiting to try an upgrade, but I need to finish a project or two before I get brave and do my attempt.

I have my own code for working with SHP files, but it's limited in scope and I'm not as fluent in Visual Basic as I would like to be. But as Ian says "Isn't progress wonderful?"
Lance

roger-wilco-66

Post by roger-wilco-66 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:56 am

I also would like to switch to Win10, but the problems mentioned keep me from doing so and I don't want to run a second PC or a dual mode installation just for scenery creation / executing SBX.

I wonder if running a win7 installation in a VM under win10 (e.g. Hyper-V or https://www.virtualbox.org/ ) would do the trick for SBuilderX 64 or other troubling applications und Win10.

Has anyone tried that?

Cheers,
Mark
Development of historical sceneries for FSX and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D Simulators

My scenery development galleries:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH