what am I missing or doing wrong ?

This forum is dedicated to discussions about the SBuilderX update for 64-bit Windows platforms.
donrecardo

what am I missing or doing wrong ?

Post by donrecardo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi, I run FSX on a win7 64bit PC
I loaded SbuilderX and then upgraded it to 3.14 to suit my system .All went well and it all appeared to
be running fine

I made a folder in C drive called SBuilder Projects and inside that I made a folder project 1 which contained
a copy of the program resample and two more directories Scenery and Textures

C:
/Sbuilder Projects
/Project 1
/ Scenery
/Textures
Resample .exe

I started SBuilderX and did FILE/new project
I called the project " Project 1" and directed it to the Project 1 folder ( I wasnt sure if it went there or in
Project 1 /Scenery folder ( I know now it should have been the scenery folder )
I chose Edit/ preferences and selected Google Satellite and clicked OK
I chose View / go to position and entered the co ordinates for a local airfield I know
I clicked on "Show Background " and it did , I zoomed to level 13 and made sure it was the right area
Then I did "Add map from background"
I drew a square over the area I required and changed to LOD17
I clicked ok and it downloaded the tiles and showed me the zoomed level image
I did select all maps and did copy bgl files to bgl folder and clicked compile which it appeared to do
but photo01.bgl was in my Project 1 folder not my Project 1 /scenery folder . I guess I should have directed it to the scenery folder when I did new project
I told it to always open with TmfViewer which it did and it looked great .
I closed TmfViewer and SBuilderX and started FSX
I went to settings / scenery library and did add area pointing it to my Project 1 folder which held photo01.bgl . but all it did was open that folder to show me the Scenery and Texture folders which are both empty
Realising I should have sent the bgl to the project 1 scenery folder when setting up new project I now put a copy of it in Project 1 /Scenery so I have two copies of the bgl one in Project 1 and one in project 1 / scenery. I restarted FSX and did settings/ scenery library/add area and pointed to project 1 . again it opened that folder and showed the sceney and texture folders , so I clicked on scenery folder and did ok and it said it couldnt find any files .
Now I know there were 2 copies of photo01.bgl, one in the project 1 folder and one in the project 1/scenery folder . but it still didnt find it , Its as though its looking for something other than a bgl file

I assume I am missing a step or have done something stupid that I shouldnt have
( at my age I do that a lot ) but I cant see what it is
Can some one put me right because this looks such a useful program so I would like to be able to use it

Cheers
Don

luisfeliztirado

Re: what am I missing or doing wrong ?

Post by luisfeliztirado » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:05 pm

Hello Don,

You are probably not doing anything wrong at all.

The FSX Scenery Library has an unfortunate bug when using Windows 7. When it opens the Scenery folder, it displays as empty. Click on any blank spot in that folder and the Library should correctly activate the scenery.

Best regards.
Luis

iangbusa

Re: what am I missing or doing wrong ?

Post by iangbusa » Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

More precisely...

When you're in the Settings - Scenery Library window in FSX (running under Win 7), the procedure is:

1. Press Add Area
2. Using the mouse in the large folder list panel, navigate to the folder that contains the Scenery folder you loaded your bgl files into, select it with the mouse. The path and a name shuold fill the two fields below the folder list (e.g. you select Project1 in the main panel and its path and name appear in the 2 fields)
3. Hit OK
4. The contents of the folder should replace the prior list of folders and show the Scenery folder in the large folder panel
5. Click with the mouse anywhere in the white empty area of the folder list panel
6. The scenery area should now show at the top of your scenery area list

Does that make sense? I'm not sure if it's what was being asked! :oops:

ian