Automating photoscenery compilation

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
old grey dog

Automating photoscenery compilation

Post by old grey dog » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:22 pm

I have been creating photoscenery from the background aerial photos for fairly extensive areas. To do this I have set an array of objects in a project covering the area I wanted to create photoscenery for.

I then centre on each object, compile the background image and then move on to the next object having deleted the object just used. (I can tell where I've been that way)

My question is whether or not it is possible to some how automate this repetitive process. I have tried using a Windows macro recorder, but this doesn't work because the SBX windows which pop up during the compiling process do not appear in the same place all the time, so a button clicked on during one cycle of the process is in a different place next time round. The macro recorder does know what it's clicking on it just clicks and if the button's not there it doesn't work.

old grey dog

Re: Automating photoscenery compilation

Post by old grey dog » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Doesn't anyone have a clue how to compile a series of photoscenery backgrounds without having to do each one individually?

Clutch Cargo

Post by Clutch Cargo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:19 pm

In the past I have used programs like Macro Magic to automate a lot of procedures when working with 100's of photo files. Takes a while to set up (and test), but it has saved me lot's of time on big projects.

Clutch

meshman

Post by meshman » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:59 am

I was moving at the time of the OP! :mrgreen:

To automate a process like compiling photo scenery all you need to do is make a batch file. Using something like Notepad or similar that creates plain text files you enter stuff like this;

Resample Oahu_A.inf
Resample Oahu_B.inf
Resample Oahu_C.inf

Where the batch file is on the HD should have Resample.exe and the assorted .INF files in the same folder. Source material location and BGL file destination can be controlled in the .INF files.

When making the batch file remember to press enter after the last line, in this case Resample Oahu_C.inf and then save the file as plain text with an extension of .BAT. In this case, my batch file might be named Oahu1.bat and then I can just double-click it in Windows Explorer.
Lance

old grey dog

Post by old grey dog » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:27 pm

First of all I must apologise for the delay in getting back on this.

I have been very much involved in other things and have not had time to pursue SBX issues for many months.

Thank you for your reply. I don't want to appear rude, but in part I haven't a clue what you are talking about. It seems to be a recurring theme for me in trying to use SBX that there is a huge gulf between my understanding and the explanations that are given. As a retired IT manager, I do have quite a good understanding of IT issues and I do know about batch files (even the bit about remembering the <enter> after the last line. I also, latterly in my career, was heavily involve in ground modelling, digital mapping and geographic information systems. But I don't know what you are talking about regarding the content of the batch file for what I am trying to do.

The way I have been compiling the satellite images is to centre on the area I want to compile at the appropriate zoom level, right click, select <background> and then <compile>. In this context, what do the entries in your batchfile mean?

Heeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Perhaps you should start with the basics. Please see this document:

Make photo-real ground textures in Flight Simulator X

available in the Avsim library
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=140539

Best regards.
Luis

old grey dog

Post by old grey dog » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:29 pm

I have already got this document and read through it and to be honest it hasn't helped a great deal. It did after a considerable amount of experimentation get me to the point where I could compile photoscenery from the background satellite images, but I am afraid that I find some of the terminology in this document and the other documentation provided somewhat opaque.

Maybe someone needs to write an Idiots Guide which explains things in word of one syllable. Having been involved in IT for 3 decades, I have found that there is often a major gap between the "introduction" to a product or concept and the more advanced documentation and this gap is a stumbling block for many.

qaywert

Post by qaywert » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:42 pm

you may use a software called Macro Recorder.It does the job with SMART-Rec. To increase the position in SBuilder by 0.01(Longitude) or 0.007 (Latitude) I use Excel.Zoom 16 gives fine results.
It is slow but it works. Put BorderON=False in SBuilder.ini.