Creating Rivers Question

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
leemer

Creating Rivers Question

Post by leemer » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:22 am

I am having a hard time creating a river with photo scenery, Is there a tut around for this? Everytime I create the river it shows up in default scenery but, disappear when the photo scenery is laid down.

meshman

Re: Creating Rivers Question

Post by meshman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:46 am

Photo scenery takes precedence over vector based scenery (lines and polys).
Lance

leemer

Post by leemer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:44 am

Ok thanks for the reply the next question would be is there any way you can make the polys or vectors to overlay or cut some sort of hole in the scenery to allow it to show. I never stick long enough with scenery creating to remeber all the technical terms or methods.

meshman

Post by meshman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:35 am

Using a blendmask file along with the source file would allow you to "carve" out portions that don't become photo scenery. A blendmask file is an 8 but grayscale file, where white is included and black is excluded. The shades of gray between black and white determine the "blending" scope. There are examples of the blendmask procedure in the Terrain SDK.
Lance

leemer

Post by leemer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks for the help so far mesh man

Could you please explain how to make a Channel_LandWaterMask in GIMP? I can not figure out the Alpha channels and such.

what is the easiest techinque to do that to cover large areas I have alot of rivers , lakes and ponds in my scenery. I would like to keep the color of the water from the photo scenery if it looks good, I do not know if I have ever seen an example of Channel_LandWaterMask before.

thanks in advanced