Help wih inf file

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Timber

Help wih inf file

Post by Timber » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:05 pm

I have been working through the OZx Developers Guide Series for making country aristrips with moderate success. Compiled and generated a bgl just using the one bmp with some shape and object instals.
Today I created the four season and night variations, annotating them as outlined it the guide. I compiled amd opened the inf file. The season and night bgl's were not in the inf.
The guide has some detail about a SBX.inf file that needs modificaiton. I cannot find a SBX.inf file. Prof. Hockings points to a sample inf at the back of the guide to use if I can't find the appropirate .inf file.
Well needless to say, I'm stumped, and looking for some help with setting up the inf text files.
Heres a picture. I know the lamp post must be moved :)
WQL1wip.jpg

luisfeliztirado

Re: Help wih inf file

Post by luisfeliztirado » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:44 am

Generally, a search of your hard disk will turn up the required file. Or you can try looking in the SBuilderX\Tools\Work directory. Please note that the inf file will usually have the name of your image source, i.e. Photo_something_or_other.

Best regards.
Luis

meshman

Post by meshman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 pm

When SBX creates a photo file from a Map the file carries the name Photo_xxx.bgl. SBX will also create an .INF file with the matching name of the BGL file. So if the photo BGL is Photo_Olympia.bgl, there will be a Photo_Olympia.INF file in the same folder.

You can manually edit the INF file to add in seasonal variants and night textures, but SBX will also allow you to enter this information while running SBX. This way all the seasonal variant and night references will be present in the created INF file.

Note also, unless specified otherwise in the INF file, any wariants will be compiled into the single photo scenery file, IIRC!
Lance

Timber

Post by Timber » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:19 am

Thank you Luis and meshman for your help. The only .inf file I'm seeing is the Photo01.inf. I have searched the HD for another inf having a naming convention that even remotly resembles this projcet but cannot find it. Sounds like Im missing something here :).
The guide says "Open the photo.inf file and the appropriate SBX.inf file. It's that SBX.inf that has me stumped.
meshman when you say edit the INF file, is that the photo01.inf you are talking about?
Any additional suggestions?
Been reading through the turorials, SBX documentation and all. Will keep on with this.

Regards

Timber

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:32 pm

If you have found an inf file, then perhaps you could try opening it and making the required changes - you won't hurt anything and it could give you the results you want.

Also, if you have not yet done so, please consider reading a tutorial on making this type of scenery with SBuilderX: Make photo-real ground textures in Flight Simulator X, available in the Avsim library:
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?Ca ... LID=140539

where you would see the following:
If you right-click on the edge of the Map, you can bring up its Properties window:
SBuilderX_12.JPG
Note that SBuilderX will give the Map a name that begins with "Photo". This is the name that will be given to the final bgl. You can change the name of the Map to anything that you wish, but it must start with "Photo" so that SBuilderX can recognize it as a source for custom ground. Once the bgl has been created, you can change its name.

Best regards.
Luis

Timber

Post by Timber » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks for that Luis, Sometimes it helps to look at the tree in front of you instead of looking at the whole forest. You guys have been a great help.

Timber

meshman

Post by meshman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:01 pm

I haven't seen the OZx SbuilderX guide, but the wording might be best changed to the SBX generated .INF file, rather than the SBX.INF file.
Lance

Timber

Post by Timber » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 pm

meshman wrote:I haven't seen the OZx SbuilderX guide, but the wording might be best changed to the SBX generated .INF file, rather than the SBX.INF file.
Great idea meshman, Thats' what sent me on this whole trip, looking for an SBX.inf.