Poly and Vector line layering

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
Timber

Poly and Vector line layering

Post by Timber » Tue May 04, 2010 1:32 am

Using SBX I pulled a background off Google Earth, mapped, saved and created the .bmp. The area was just an open field. I moved the bmp into PSP, added some dirt for the airstrip and loading area. Created a mask around both and compiled everything, and copied the bgl into FSX. Fired off FSX and checked it out. Everything to that point looked fine.
Opened SBX and created a vector line 30 ft wide using a dirt road texture. Compiled and copied the cvx_WQL1.bgl into FSX. Im not seeing the dirt strip. I tried this using a polygon and a gress strip but had the same results; a no show in FSX. Tried to find some way to layer them but could not find anything in the program. Any help would really be appreciated.

Regards

Timber

luisfeliztirado

Re: Poly and Vector line layering

Post by luisfeliztirado » Tue May 04, 2010 2:22 am

Sorry, custom textures will always display over vector terrain. No way around that... unless you create a transparent area in your source image where the underlying vector element can show through.

The reasoning behind this makes some sense - why would you want unrealistic generic textures from default vector elements when using highly realistic, photo-real images?

Since you are painting the source image anyway, why not paint the strip directly onto it?

Best regards.
Luis

Timber

Re: Poly and Vector line layering

Post by Timber » Tue May 04, 2010 2:53 am

Luis, You are a champ, thanks for the reply. I captured some photo real off google earth of the area I wanted to build an airstrip at thinking of using the textures in the SBX library.
I see your point. Will do just that; texture in the airstrip and parking right using PSP.

This stuff is really interesting. :)

Ken