SBuilderX V X ?

This is the Forum to discuss the use of SBuilderX (version 3.10 and above). For previous versions of SBuilder please use the "SBuilder for Flight Simulator FS2004" forum.
roger-wilco-66

SBuilderX V X ?

Post by roger-wilco-66 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi,

hoping not to step on anyones toes, but is there any chance on a V2 version of SBX? I really love that tool and enjoy working with it for years now, but it seems that I run more and more into problems, expecially memory problems with larger projects. I think the functionality is great and it's a very mature product. Wouldn't want anything else. Maybe just compiling it with a modern compiler and assigning more allocation memory for variables would get rid of these memory issues.
It just happend to me that I lost a project again because I reached a vector limit, and unfortunatly SBX does not give warnings when it hits the road block. Well it does but then its too late, since this corrupts the project file.

Cheers,
Mark
Development of historical sceneries for FSX and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D Simulators

My scenery development galleries:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

rhumbaflappy

Re: SBuilderX V X ?

Post by rhumbaflappy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi Mark.

I can only suggest to save often, and perhaps split larger projects into smaller chunks, with the current SBuilderX.

SBuilderX is a remarkable program... even more so when you find that Luis created the program entirely on his own! I do know that Luis has found more time to go sailing, so there may not be as much time to program an updated version. :)

(Luis has not visited these forums since July20, 2012.)

Dick
Dick

roger-wilco-66

Post by roger-wilco-66 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:03 am

Hi Dick,

thanks for your answer. I already split the projects into chunks, which also has functional and organisational advantages, but memory corruptions are still bound to happen. I also versionize my projects so I can fall back to a earlier version in case of an error. Oh well...
But I agree totally, Luis did an amazing job with SBuilderX. That's why I think that this magnificent creation could deserve a little bit of adjustment to modern functionality. I'm not a good programmer so I don't know everything behind such an upgrade, but as I understand SBX was written in an early Visual Basic version. Maybe it is really just recompiling the source with a more modern VB compiler to overcome the limitations.
To me, the functionality of SBX itself is almost perfect, so I don't see that there is a need to change the coding itself. But it could well be that my reasoning is wrong.

Best,
Mark
Development of historical sceneries for FSX and Lockheed Martin Prepar3D Simulators

My scenery development galleries:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

rhumbaflappy

Post by rhumbaflappy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:28 am

Hi Mark.

Compiling to a 64-bit version with a newer version of .NET might mitigate some of the memory problems.

My issues with memory difficulties are only from photoreal development. Those problems can be overcome with hand editing an INF file to use multiple image sources, and compiling outside of SBuilderX.

Dick
Dick