I have forgotten how to make a lake.

This forum is dedicated to discussions about the SBuilderX update for 64-bit Windows platforms.
leemer

I have forgotten how to make a lake.

Post by leemer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:46 am

It is has been years since I have messed around with this stuff, I am slowly re-learning everything, right now I am stuck on creating a lake with Poly tool I successfully did one, but for the life of me I can't figure out how I even did it. With that said the problem is that I can't figure out the procedure on making the water class be drawn in the poly. There is something little I am missing , This is what I have tried so far I have used the waterclass tool clicked on the map in the area of interest and then chose poly tool and drew the boundaries around the lake, but all the poly points never says waterclass=1 , what am I over looking?

luisfeliztirado

Re: I have forgotten how to make a lake.

Post by luisfeliztirado » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:18 pm

Hello,

A little bit of basic information first. The FS world is all land and then water bodies, including the oceans, are drawn on top.

So, here is the method for creating a lake.

1. If there is already a Hydro Polygon (water) at that location, it must be excluded.
2. Draw a new Hydro Polygon in the shape of your lake.
3. Remember to give it an altitude in meters. You can generally find out the altitude of your lake by loading altitude mesh in TMFViewer and pointing to the location of your lake. Its altitude will be displayed in the status bar.
4. Assign a Water Class to the quadrant(s) covered by the lake.

Good luck with your project.

Best regards.
Luis

leemer

Post by leemer » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:21 am

Now I am even more confused and everything I am trying is making the software crash now. Can you go into more details?
1. If there is already a Hydro Polygon (water) at that location, it must be excluded.
Does this mean I need to draw a polygon of the whole area(one big box) I am working on and then right click and point to exclude all water polys? Why I would say the whole area because I also have a few ponds in the scenery as well. part of the river I think has already has water information there and some of it doesn't.

2. Draw a new Hydro Polygon in the shape of your lake.
Okay that part I can handle, I think does, it matter which direction it is drawn in clock wise or counter clockwise? seem like I read that somewhere that is matters. also do I need to right click and assign the poly as generic river or which ever I choose? or leave it to none?

3. Remember to give it an altitude in meters. You can generally find out the altitude of your lake by loading altitude mesh in TMFViewer and pointing to the location of your lake. Its altitude will be displayed in the status bar. I assuming right clicking and setting elevation there as constant.

4. Assign a Water Class to the quadrant(s) covered by the lake. Trying to make sure I have this clear I would click on the water class tool and draw water class squares on the map of all the area that needs water? I should be able to see water overlay on the map ,correct?

Then I should select all and compile for BGL creation for all the data to be in one file?

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:33 pm

If SBuilder is crashing, then there is a more serious problem somewhere.

As for creating terrain scenery, I wrote a comprehensive tutorial that is available in the Avsim library. Just search for "Luis" and all that I, and Luis Sá, have put there will appear.

1. If you are excluding a lake, then draw an Exclusion polygon over it. This poly does not have to be large or cover the entire lake - it only has to intersect any part of the poly being excluded.

2. Draw the Hydro Poly in any direction that you want. SBuilder will correct the poly so that it is always drawn in the right direction. Once you have drawn the poly, you must, of course, define the type you want, a Hydro Poly, by right-clicking on the border of the poly and selecting from the list.

All your other assumptions are correct. Please do read my illustrated tutorials as they will clear up a lot of questions and provide much essential information and tips.

Don't hesitate to ask if you continue to have problems.

Best regards.
Luis

leemer

Post by leemer » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:30 pm

Okay thanks for the information Avsim webpage seems to be broken. I have been trying to get access for a while to get hold of the tutorial and I can not get access, I will try to contact them to resolve that.