19,712 tiles or 5 GB

This forum is dedicated to discussions about the SBuilderX update for 64-bit Windows platforms.
LaGrangeAir

19,712 tiles or 5 GB

Post by LaGrangeAir » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:37 am

I was reading the latest readme.txt and in the New Features section there is a statement that says:

17 - Background is now 11 x 7 tiles, which allows to add maps from
the background with size up to 19,712 tiles or 5 GB.

Now when I am grabbing files at Level 20, the lowest res I can get through Google, I can only grab about 8,000 tiles and/or 2.1 GB of data. I am running SBuilderX on a quad core desktop with a GeForce GT 730 with 4GB of video memory. If I grab anything bigger than 8,200 tiles I get an error "Could not make an image!"

What am I doing wrong that I can't grab 19,712 tiles (the max at Level 20) and/or 5GB. Is there a way to make this happen?

Warm Regards
Dean

meshman

Re: 19,712 tiles or 5 GB

Post by meshman » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Going from failing memory..., you will still find a limit as to what can be downloaded and displayed. I *think* I was able to generate a largest file of around 2gb during beta work.

The difficulty with wanting to go and make a massive file is finding tools that will allow editing of the image. A 5gb file on disk will utilize considerably more memory when trying to load into an editing program and require 64 bit programs and properly system ability.

Larger areas can be worked through multiple files and the use of a MultiSource INF file, as outlined in the SDKs.
Lance

luisfeliztirado

Post by luisfeliztirado » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:46 am

That "New Feature" is probably incorrect. Perhaps all it means is that the work space (background image) can be much larger than before.

Adding a Map from Background is probably very memory intensive. First, all the selected tiles must be placed in memory, a working memory area is also reserved for the assembly task, and there must also be space for the final created bitmap. I assume that the process is something like that, although admittedly I have no idea how it works.

If so, then it is easy to run out of memory, even with so much VRAM available, when attempting to make exceptionally large Maps.

As Lance mentions, MultiSource inf files can often serve for this instead, although I suspect that even Resample will run up against a hard memory limit when dealing with very large images.

Best regards.
Luis

meshman

Post by meshman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:33 pm

luisfeliztirado wrote:As Lance mentions, MultiSource inf files can often serve for this instead, although I suspect that even Resample will run up against a hard memory limit when dealing with very large images.

Best regards.
Luis
Good morning, Luis!

IIRC from ab few years back, Resample will create a very large size file from the many input source files. But it's FSX (and I suppose P3D) that will balk at a BGL file larger than 2gb. I was doing photo work on the "old country" aka Kalifornia from non-compressed GeoTiff source material. Resample would just churn away and make the BIG file, but as mentioned FSX wouldn't recognize it. I eventually went with taking a degree square and making four BGL files, at slightly over 1gb in size.

Turned out nice, if I do say so. But I guesstimated a total rendition of about 150gb to cover the entire state.

All the best from a chilly cave in the PNW! :mrgreen:
Lance