Breaking and dropping through taxiway

Look here for an answer to a problem that you encountered when using Madeira Islands. Post a message here if you think that your problem can help others!
Douwe

Breaking and dropping through taxiway

Post by Douwe » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:39 pm

Hi,

If I taxi to RWY 23, and I'm close to the runway to hold short, my aircraft sort of breaks right through the surface and drops below on the cliffs. As if you're breaking through thin ice.

Anyone seen this behaviour?

Douwe

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:59 am

Hi,

In the FS world all runways that I know sit on ground. LPMA is an exception. There is no ground on the platform and on zones near the edges of the flatten surface where aircraft taxi. We used a SetElevation() command to fix this and that works as far as we know.

One problem with you could be the "... VERTEX" problem that you can read in the manual. Please check this!

Regards, Luis

Douwe

Post by Douwe » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:49 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Luis Sá</i>
<br />One problem with you could be the "... VERTEX" problem that you can read in the manual. Please check this!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I checked this, my fs9.cfg has the correct setting, I think:
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20

A few other observations are:
- breaking through the surface doesn't happen all the time. It happens on the taxiway on the north side of the airport, where it is built above land and supported by concrete pillars. Breaking through the runway surface never happens, it is only the taxiway areas that are vunerable. This includes the area right next to the runway (the shoulder, if you will) on top of the bridge.

- If you're right on top of one of the pillars supporting the elevated taxiway, you won't fall through.

- If you're not right on top of one of the concrete pillars you might not fall through if you don't make sudden movements (hard hitting the speed brakes made me fall through a couple of times) and keep looking through the front window in cockpit view (and don't maximize the view, the [W] key)

- Look through the right of left window makes you fall through, as well as changing to spot view. Changing to virtual cockpit or tower view seem OK.

Hopes this helps finding the cause!

Douwe

Luis Sa

Post by Luis Sa » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:59 am

Hi Douwe,

Thank you for the details on the problem! I just tried this once more and, sadly, I confirm that the aircraft falls more or less as you point out.

<font color="red">EDITED on February 10, 2004
</font id="red">
Hi all Madeira Islands users [:)]:

We think we discovered a way to avoid these "fall" problems in LPMA. Please get the file:

http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/hard.zip

and unzip the contained file into the Madeira BGL folder!

Kind Regards, Luis

Douwe

Post by Douwe » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:19 am

Hi,

I've downloaded and installed the hard.bgl file and it seems to work fine indeed! Nice job, thank you very much.

Regards,
Douwe

Dkoy

Post by Dkoy » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:16 pm

Hi there

I bought this WONDERFUL scenery from Aerosoft, and also had the jumping up and down - end the end - through the taxiway [:D]

Thanks for the little update.

Br
Steen